Creating a student community of servant leaders.
The historic Steensland House is a home for ten students who discover their passions and expand their horizons while living in an intentional community that provides opportunities and resources for personal growth and spiritual growth.
Community – The House is not just a collection of individuals, but a committed group who strive for a supportive community.
Respect – Respect of self, others and property is essential for a healthy community
Service – Giving of oneself for the sake of others is itself life-giving and life-rewarding.
The following categories outline the main opportunities for leadership development and community service for the residents of the Historic Steensland House Apartments.
Students living in the House are required to fulfill, on average, four (4) hours of service per week or sixteen (16) hours per month. Each apartment of students will be matched with an area of community service (at Bethel Lutheran or some other location in the Madison community) that matches the gifts, skills and interests of those resident students and a real community need. All community service locations are approved by the Bethel Steensland Housing Board.
Residents students meet as a house community weekly for one hour. These community building meetings, led by the Resident Assistant, will keep all abreast of apartment projects and strengthen community bonds.
During the Spring Semester the resident students work as a team to plan, lead and implement a service project for the larger community using the skills learned by being part of this program.
Possible Service-Learning Venues
- Eagles Wings After-School Program – mentor children in Bethel run program
- Homeless Support Service – multiple opportunities with Bethel run services for homeless
- Property & Grounds – provide labor around the Bethel campus
- Tutors for Middle or High School student – community based program
- Various opportunities serving Older Adults – Oakwood Lutheran Senior Ministries
- Food Pantry – Bethel run program
- Mentoring children who have incarcerated parent – Madison Urban Ministries
- Bethel Horizons – Camp and retreat center
- Evening Volunteer – Road Home
- Sunday Morning Hospitality Host for Bethel
- Office Assistance – Bethel and other local 501(c)3
Through an additional application process, one Steensland House apartment resident is selected to serve as the RA. Serving in this capacity fulfills the resident service component. Additional information is in the attached PDF.